Free PHP Smart Guest Book 2.0 Installation
Installing Free PHP Smart Guest Book for MySQL Database
A. Contents of the zip file
You will find the following files:
- SmartGuestbook.sql (SQL Scripts file)
- SmartGuestbook.swf (Flash Interface)
- SmartGuestbook.html (HTML file where the Flash interface is placed)
- SmartGuestbookCode.php (PHP file accessed by the .swf file)
- badwordfilter.txt (comma delimited bad words list)
- CloseWindow.htm (to automatically close the window)
- Readme.txt (content similar to this page section)
B. Installation steps
- Important: Place all the above files in a folder called SmartGuestBook under your site root.
- To create the required table run the sql scripts file
(SmartGuestbook.sql) inside your MySQL
database. You can use an administration tool like MyPHPAdmin
(download it free from www.phpmyadmin.net) or any other
database administration tools for the MySQL. Under the
database of your choice run the SQL script. In MyPHPAdmin,
to run 'SQL query/queries' click the "SQL" option
and locate the 'SmartGuestbook.sql' using the browse button.
Click go and your database is ready. To double check this
see if your database has a table called 'tblguestbook'
added to it.
- Important: To make your
SmartGuestBook work you need to give the connection parameters
to your MySQL Database in the SmartGuestBookCode.php page.
Open the code view of this page and you will find the
following lines at the top clearly marked out for your
Now substitute the dummy values (inside the quotes) with your database details.
- Now you are ready to call your Guestbook from anywhere
in your site. To do this, use the following link in your
page (Hint: If you are using dreamweaver, copy and paste
the following link in the Code View):
Note: for a site hosted by another site use the following link with your correct site path :-
- If you wish to keep the guest-book inside one of your
site pages (i.e. the guestbook will be visible always
on the page instead of popping out on clicking a link),
you should place the SmartGuestBook.swf file and
related scripts in your page body by adding the following
code wherever you want the Guest-Book to appear (do not
copy the 'Start of Code' and 'End of Code' lines). After
you copy-paste the code please follow the important directions
given below it.<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="VBScript">
Sub guestbook_FSCommand(ByVal command, ByVal args)
call guestbook_DoFSCommand(command, args)
var moviecolor = '#000000';
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#5,0,0,0" width="350" height="350" id=guestbook><param name="MOVIE" value="SmartGuestBook.swf"><PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE="#4B88C4"><param name="menu" value="false"><param name="QUALITY" value="high"><param name="LOOP" value="false"><embed src="SmartGuestBook.swf" name="guestbook" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="350" height="350" bgcolor="#4B88C4" menu="false" loop="false" quality="high" swliveconnect="true"></embed></object>
- Place this page of your site inside the SmartGuestBook folder only.
- Change the path to the SWF file in the param tag named 'MOVIE' and embed tag 'src' value for a site hosted by another site.
- Change the background color of the guest book in the param tag named 'bgcolor'.
- CAUTION: Do not change any other part of the code in any other place as the guest-book will not function properly.
- DO NOT place the code inside a form i.e., in between
a <form> </form> tags (since the guestbook
add new entry page will not work).
- The CloseWindow.htm page can be used to close any web
page in your site. Use it if required by using a simple
link as below.
Troubleshooting Free PHP Smart Guest Book 2.0
- If your guestbook is not working please check if your
site supports PHP and MySQL databases. If yes, check if
your installation steps were correct.
- If your Smart Guest Book is stuck i.e., just displaying
the "loading guestbook entries" frame, then
please check if the URL : http://Your_site_path/SmartGuestBook/SmartGuestBookCode.php?size=50&NAV=1
is giving an error. If yes, please contact us to help
you rectify the error.
- If you have any other problems please visit our FAQs page or email us (firstname.lastname@example.org). Your suggestions and comments are always welcome :-)
Copyright © SmartWebby.com, 2001-2005, All Rights
This product has been created by SmartWebby.com for free distribution.
We will not be held responsible for any unwanted effects due to the usage of
this product or any derivative. No warrantees for usability are given or implied.